About this Blog

Follow me in my NEW Adventure of being 30 --2014 will be full of laughter, tears, hard work and lots of photos of all the GREAT things this year will bring.

Thursday, January 16, 2014

DIY: Painted Mugs

Pinterest inspires me... and sucks me in for hours at a time. It doesn't make for a productive day but it does get the creative juices flowing. Well I have finally put Pinterest to good use by painting on mugs! Lets get started...

You'll Need:
1. Mugs: Mine were from Crate and Barrel $1.95-$3.95 plus shipping
2. Scrapbook Letters at Target $2.99+
3. Scotches Carpenters Tape to make straight lines or to tape down anything you might want to trace and for typography.
4. I used Sharpie Paint (oil based) Markers from the UC Bookstore at about $3 each or you can buy ceramic markers on-line. 

Next
I printed off an outline map of Montana, then taped it and traced it (Of course you can print any state of your  choice).

The quote on this mug: "I am in Love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is LOVE." -Steinbeck

Baking Instructions:
1. Let paint dry for 24 hours.
2. Once 24 hours has passed, place mugs in cool oven.
3. Turn on oven to 400 and set timer for 40 min.
 4. When the timer goes off let the  mugs cool down in the oven (do not remove).
Lastly, when using bright colors it tends to loose its brightness after baking but at least the color will stay.

 Inside, I put Hershey's peppermint kisses and hot cocoa and VoilĂ  --A gift for any occasion
  
I made these mugs for a White Elephant gift exchange.


Helpful Hints:
-Use Rubbing Alcohol for any mistakes before baking.
-The 24/hr drying is important, so leave plenty of time to do this project. 
-Dollar store mugs work just as well as the name brand ones do.
-Have fun!



Here are a few more ideas...



"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep."
-Scott Adams







3 comments:

  1. I love these! I think it would be a good project to do with my kids. We like having "interesting" mugs for camping. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this Jess. We should get together to do crafts some time and let the kids play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we should! This was a fun craft and there are so many more to do and try :)

      Delete